site stats Marbella Spectator: Hugh Griffiths bearing gift of prize winning "Hugh" tomato plant

Marbella Spectator

AN INDEPENDENT SOURCE OF INFORMATION FOR MEMBERS OF THE OAKS NORTH MARBELLA HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION [JOHN W. ELLIS, EDITOR]

Name:
Location: Rancho Bernardo

I am a retired lawyer and former law school professor residing in Oaks North Marbella. I have served as President of the Marbella Board of Directors and as a member of the Rancho Bernardo Community Council. I belong to the Oaks North Men's Golf Clubs (Tuesday and Thursday Groups). As a hobby, I publish the Marbella Spectator for my neighbors and the 19th Hole for my fellow golfers.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hugh Griffiths bearing gift of prize winning "Hugh" tomato plant


As mentioned earlier in the Marbella Spectator, our neighbor Hugh Griffiths is a man of many talents. One is raising tomatoes. His specialty is appropriately named the "Hugh" tomato. It grows tall (5-6 feet), and produces very large, up to 2-1/2 lb., beefsteak tomatoes that are pale yellow with a touch of red on the blossom end. They are very meaty, thin-skinned and delicious, seemingly bursting with summer sweetness. A year or so ago, after learning that a contest was underway, and knowing that he had business that would take him near the contest headquarters, Hugh dropped off a sample of his "Hugh" tomato plants. His entry won the contest and a prize of $5,000! Hugh was written-up in the San Diego Union-Tribune and received television coverage. A few days after our recent neighborhood block party, Hugh's wife Jan called to see if Hugh could deliver something to our house. To our surprise, Hugh brought a "Hugh" tomato plant for Marilyn's garden. I took this photo. When this young plant starts producing 2-1/2 pound "Marilyn" tomatoes, I plan to sell them for top dollar at the Bernardo Winery's Farmers' Market and give Hugh a commission.
(Click on photo to enlarge)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home